Thursday, November 17, 2011

Thank You Meals on Wheels...

Two and a half years ago I walked into my local Meals on Wheels and offered to volunteer.  My kids were in school all day so why not? I wasn't sure what volunteering would entail. 
I just knew I had some time and I wanted to do something in my community.    
 Just one month after starting my service, my brother in law Jared
decided he didn't want to live anymore. He took his life.
My supervisor Kim told me to take as much time as I needed and I did.
I didn't stay away for very long though. I have been taught that when
something bad happens in your life, go out and do something for someone else and so I did.  

Pretty soon I became a volunteer backup driver when someone was out sick. 
Not long after that I became an employee. A part time driver delivering meals to the home bound. 

I grew to love these people.  Like "Stinky Bob" (named by my kids), Irene, Bev and Lyn.
Several have passed away like Ella, Beverly, Terry and even Stinky Bob.
Losing a client and friend was never easy-sometimes it brought back painful feelings of losing Jared.

However, I will forever be grateful for my time there. 
I learned so many wonderful life lessons and gained many
good friends.  Remember, if you don't know what to do with yourself,
go out and do something good for someone else. 

4 comments:

Thursday14 said...

Just one of the many reasons why you are so awesome...

Lauren in GA said...

I admire so much you getting out there and doing good in the world.

jessica said...

I did meals on wheels when I was in High School. Loved it! I love that you did this, what a perfect thing to do with your free time. I'm sure they LOVED you! Happy Thanksgiving my friend...I am thankful for you and your lovely blog that always brings a smile to my face ;)

Linsey said...

This is inspiring, good for you!

CREATE