THE CAKE
Caleb saw a picture of a delicious made from scratch red velvet cake in a magazine and tore it out. He kept hanging the picture on the fridge so I might be tempted to make it-yeah right! I am off sugar during the week so I told him, if he wanted a cake, he would have to make it himself. Matt took him to the store, they bought the ingredients and he was determined to make the cake. He made the cake (with some assistance) and since he did such a fine job, Matt and I decided to go for a walk while he made the frosting. I had a bad feeling but I decided, whatever happened would be a learning experience and I should trust that he can do it. I am shaking my head as I write this...
We were headed back from our walk and here comes Caleb on his scooter. I can tell by his face he messed up and I'm just waiting to hear what he did. Well, he accidentally used granulated sugar instead of the powdered sugar (that is clearly right there in the counter behind the Swan's Flour). 8 CUPS to be exact mixed with 3 STICKS of butter. The next picture is us trying to salvage the pot of goo. Sadly we had to throw it out and start over. I made the frosting. It looked good but it didn't taste as great as it looked. I hope he doesn't give up on the cooking. His body is growing faster than his brain right now.
RAISING A RACIST
The kids got off the bus yesterday and Hannah comes running in to tell me that Solomon was shouting, "Chinese people are stupid!" on the bus. Shaking my head again...
I asked Solomon if he indeed said that and he said, "No, I said they were dumb not stupid." Oh good, glad we cleared that up. I asked him if any of the Chinese kids heard him say that horrible statement and he said that Dillon, who was sitting next to him (and is his friend and classmate) had already gotten off the bus "and besides, he isn't Chinese, he is Asian". Also, Angela (who was sitting behind him), had her headphones on and couldn't hear him. Oh ok, that makes it alright then...
He spent some time in his room, we had a nice long chat about being mean and then he got a little writing assignment. When I went up to check on his progress, his eyes were full of tears, his pillow case had to be changed from the boogers he sobbed onto it and he had completed his punishment of writing a whole page of the following. Its a keeper!
Have a great Memorial Day weekend!!! We will be eating out at a Chinese restaurant and ordering cake!

7 comments:
I did have to laugh at his saying dryly, "No, I said they were dumb not stupid."
I am totally impressed with Caleb's overall motivation. That is pretty awesome that he did his best to make a cake from scratch.
Your parting line in this post was awesome.
Hilarious. Now, I need to go make me some frosting. I am weak.
Your post makes me realize we are not the only family with such stories.
What exactly is the difference between dunb and stupid?
Last night I came home to the nastiest cookies EVER!! Burnt to a freaking crisp, stinking up the entire house.
that new header wedgie picture is hilarious!
love the punishment. something to be said for good old fashioned drilling.
Okay that made me laugh out loud...I am still grinning from ear to ear. I love you Liz and your racist, wannabe Julia Childs kids. They are awesome!
Oh, my gosh...I hadn't noticed the wedgie on #15 until Andrea pointed it out. Hilarious!
Ok I read that last post from Lauren, and I thought she meant line #15 of solly's assignment....but now I get it, I love the picture.
I feel for Caleb, my whole family got on my case when I made a simple mistake baking cheese cake. Aparently you are supposed to make the cake and the crust separetly.
Post a Comment