Thursday, April 8, 2010

In the muddy muddy middle


Living your beliefs isn't always easy. For the most part, its not too difficult. When life is going along "as usual", living a good and righteous life is pretty simple. It's when life throws mud in your face, that you now not only have mud on your face but you have to decide whether or not you want to sling that mud right back at someone else. Oh man, wouldn't it feel good to just chuck that mud and smear it all over someone else! Some days it just feels great to jump in that mud and wallow in it for awhile but after a bit you just feel cold and dirty.

A few scriptures come to mind lately:
Rev. 3: 10
10 Because thou hast kept the word of my patience, I also will keep thee from the hour of temptation, which shall come upon all the world, to try them that dwell upon the earth.
1 Ne. 15: 24
24 And I said unto them that it was the word of God; and whoso would hearken unto the word of God, and would hold fast unto it, they would never perish; neither could the temptations and the fiery darts of the adversary overpower them unto blindness, to lead them away to destruction.
Alma 34: 39
39 Yea, and I also exhort you, my brethren, that ye be watchful unto prayer continually, that ye may not be led away by the temptations of the devil, that he may not overpower you, that ye may not become his subjects at the last day; for behold, he rewardeth you no good thing.

Choosing to do the right thing has been hard lately. I haven't really done anything wrong, in fact, I have decided to not do some really stupid things. I feel like Heavenly Father knows that and he is giving me strength. I feel his strength directly from within and indirectly through people that care about me and the beautiful things He has created. Heavenly Father keeps His promises if I keep mine. God is a straight shooter and thankfully He doesn't throw mud.

*The Piggy in the Puddle is one of my favorite books. Unfortunately, all the pigs decide to jump into the mud puddle but they are pigs and pigs love mud so its OK.

PS Some fun things have been happening around here lately. I'll post about them soon.

8 comments:

Mark Fotheringham said...

Here is another scripture to think about:

Helaman 10: 3-4
4 Blessed art thou, Nephi, for those things which thou hast done; for I have beheld how thou hast with unwearyingness declared the word, which I have given unto thee, unto this people. And thou hast not feared them, and hast not sought thine own life, but hast sought my will, and to keep my commandments.
5 And now, because thou hast done this with such unwearyingness, behold, I will bless thee forever; and I will make thee mighty in word and in deed, in faith and in works; yea, even that all things shall be done unto thee according to thy word, for thou shalt not ask that which is contrary to my will.

Hang in there sis.

Jake said...

D&C 78: 17-18

Love the scriptures and children's lit connection.

the wrath of khandrea said...

PHEW! i thought you were gonna say times were tough so you threw back a pint of jackie d.

isn't it amazing how we can find so much personal revelation in the scriptures, and how it becomes so poignant to our particular situation? good stuff.

Anonymous said...

You have no idea how inspired your post is today...thanks :)

Lauren in GA said...

I hope you are okay. I love your example of turning to the scriptures. Sometimes it is hard not to do dumb things...I should know...

I love that little book, too. My mom used to read it to us. Isn't that the one that says, "Ooofie poofie"!

Lindsey said...

Excellent. It is tough sometimes. Life. Yuk. I feel ya. I hope you make it through ok. :)

jessica said...

I love your brother's comment and the scripture reference.

God is real, no doubt about it. His plan is the only way to have real joy. It's not an easy plan...no not at all. If you get a chance you should check out Elder Uchtdorf's talk from the general YW broadcast..."Happily Ever After". You may have already heard it but if not, it is worth reading.

You have know idea how happy I was to see you on my reader. Oh I have missed you my friend. I really have. I'm sending lots of love and happy thoughts your way! xoxo

Christie said...

Hang in there, sista. It's all for our good, right?

(At least that's what I keep telling myself)

CREATE