Just know that I will probably have at least two of every "best" category. This one gets three. How could I possibly pick just one favorite book? The first best book is one that I am actually finishing up right now. It is Peace Like a River by Leif Enger. I rarely finish a book unless it is well written and captures my interest. I am at the very end and I have enjoyed Leif's writing very much. It's right up my alley.
The second favorite is one recommended by my 13 year old son Caleb, who reads more books than anyone in our house. He is always badgering me to read faster so I can read his favorites. One of his favorite reads and one that I enjoyed is The Lightening Thief by Rick Riordan. Again, well written and its all about the Greek Gods in today's world. I loved learning about the Greek Gods in 6th grade and it was fun to "be a kid" and get to know those mischievous gods all over again. The movie comes out on February 12th and you can be sure that Caleb and I will be there.
My third favorite book is a self help/help others kind of book. It was written by my friend and fellow blogger Jessica. It is called To Leah, With Love. I really enjoyed this book and it made me not only think about how Young Women should prepare for college but how I as a mother need to prepare my children for college. Caleb is turning 14 next week and I have only a few more years with him as a "child". I still have so much to do and this book reminded me of that. Thanks Jessica!
Best of '09 with Gwen Bell
Friday, December 4, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
i am not sure i actually read three books all year that didn't have colorful illustrations and rhyming patterns.
I have also read and loved Peace Like a River. It was great story....have you finished it yet???
My son also blew through the Percy Jackson series. I have not yet read them....they are on my list. I love love love to read.
How honored am I? Seriously! I'm a little verklempt...I just had to look up how to spell that...Thanks for the love Liz....I hope you feel me sending it right back to you!
I am going to order Jessica's book. I am so excited to read it!
My husband read The Lightening Thief and really liked it.
Do you think a man would like, Peace Like a River?
Post a Comment