Tuesday, September 8, 2009

What's the big deal?

I'm not sure why some people/journalists object to this speech. I think it's a great speech. He's honest and straightforward and tells the kids what he expects from them, their teachers, and parents. I appreciate the President taking the time to talk to our kids about what is important. I really wish the press would lay off and report about more important things. According to some, it is controversial. Go figure. My kids will be watching this tomorrow in school and I hope they listen. It might be about 5 minutes too long but its still good. What do you think?

">

14 comments:

diane said...

My daughter watched this today. She came home and said the president told her to be a democrat and vote for health care reform. She is a sarcatic 17 year old. I'm conservative and had no problem with it. In fact I hope it inspired some kids who don't get encouragement from home.

Lindsey said...

Don't even get me started about all that hubub... It was so rediculous! I was complaining to Peter about it on Friday and saying, WHO CARES! It is not like my kid is gonna vote and like he is going to bring up GAY MARRIAGE! GEEZ! People are just over-reacting to all the pundants... Enough! I was going to do a post about how stupid all that "not sending my kids to school" stuff was... But I was afraid people would think I was some kind of crazy person! :)

Christie said...

I thought it was FANTASTIC words to be said to my children and I hope it's quoted for years to come. I am SICK to death of people discounting him in the church because he's a (somewhat liberal) democrat. Honestly. Makes me so mad.

Pedaling said...

somewhat liberal?
wow- he's the most far left radical i've ever witnessed.
i'm one of the "dummies" that kept my kids at home.
my thoughts are laid out on my blog.
everyone has a right to do what they feel right for them.

dianes daughter is funny.

Pedaling said...

thought i'd better clarify.

"dummies" not referred to me by anyone here on this blogsite- just on my own.

the wrath of khandrea said...

still seething over the narrow-minded controversy.

katie g. said...

thought the speech was great. think the press that makes ALL conservatives look like the 4 people that kept their kids home is not. Even people I know that homeschool watched it on TV with their kids and liked it. It was made into more of a controversy by the press than it really was

Lauren in GA said...

I didn't understand what all of the uproar was about, either. What on earth did people think the man was going to say?!

Great post!

Mommo said...

I appreciate that he is the President of our country. I sent my kids to school...never even considered not sending them. It is good for them to have an opportunity to hear their president speak to them. ...why though could he not have given the same speech at 8pm when families could have watched it together? He is far to liberal for my liking and I disagree with much of his agenda. I am genuinely skeptical of him.

A-Kap said...

The issue is not whether or not the words he spoke were good or whether he spoke at all. The issue is that the original speech he was going to give (but didn't thanks to the "controversy" surrounding it) was charged with his political ideology and agenda...so clearly his motives were not, in my eyes, worthy of praise. He has proven over and over again that he is someone who says one thing and does another (he asks kids to take responsibility for themselves and their education but none of his policies reflect that intention). It is very, very easy to be "swooned" into his words -- and he knows it (illustrated by the fact that tonight he will give his 112th(!) speech since becoming president). He is an expert politician and a true blue narcissist so it's very easy for me to see why people are so worshipful of him. I just wish people would dig deeper and at least try to understand things they think are "ridiculous" or "narrow minded" -- and not simply take them at face value.

A-Kap said...

So sorry for the lengthy diatribe...but...you asked what I thought so I just had to deliver. I'm here for ya' friend! ;-)

Mark Fotheringham said...

I have always been a sucker for a good speech and this guy really delivers the goods. I loved Ronald Reagan for the same reason. I may not agree with all the policies and programs proposed, but I still find inspiration in the prose.

As for the press, the majority no longer are engaged in the search for truth, but are simply seekers after controversy and foment. That's why you will nowadays see them reporting on the lunatic fringes, both extreme right or left, rather than on the boring, staid majority in the middle. President Obama will always engender a certain amount of rage or frustration at the edges mostly because of his race. One side sees him as an uppity black man trying to tell the white folk what to do while redistributing their hard-earned wealth. The other sees him as a jim crow political sell-out who isn't moving fast enough to force social equality and raise the downtrodden and oppressed. Both sides are raucus and strident and the press is drawn to it like moths to a flashlight illuminating nothing.

jessica said...

Wowzers! You've stirred the pot with this post!

This speech gave me a great opportunity to explain once again to my children how good people are still good people even when they don't have good ideas.

I thought the speech was inspiring and hopefully got some kids thinking twice about wasting thier lives. I don't agree with his policies and I think he has some really bad ideas but he is still the president of our country and we should teach our children to have respect for his position. We have also taught our children to pray for him since he needs all the prayers he can get!

Anonymous said...

Can I just completely ditto what A-Kap said!! I couldn't have said it better myself!

Thankfully my kids school (they go to a charter) did not show the speech. They gave us all the link and said if we would like to watch it with our kids great but we are actually going to have school during the day, like my tax dollars are paying for.

CREATE