Saturday, September 12, 2009

Goodbye Spike


Sadly we said goodbye to our family pet this weekend. Spike the gecko has been a member of our family for about 17 months. She was with two previous families whose children outgrew her. She has been around a long time and for the time we had her, we have enjoyed her. She was our ideal pet. She was quiet, she didn't eat much, she was cute, and her poop was easy to clean up. Technically she was the family pet but she lived in Caleb's room and he took care of her needs. Over the past couple of months we noticed that she was losing weight and not eating her crickets as voraciously as usual. This past week, I went up and checked on her and she was very thin and hardly moving. I prepared Caleb and told him she would probably pass away soon. On the morning of September 11th, Caleb came down and said, "Spike is gone." My first reaction was, "Well, where is she?. Did she get out?" I had visions of a family search under beds and through closets. Unfortunately, he meant she had passed away. We are sad but happy that she was a part of our family. Here are some pictures of our memorial service for her. Goodbye Spike.


5 comments:

katie g. said...

so sorry for your loss. she was lucky to have you

Lauren in GA said...

Awww, sad. She sounds like she was my kind of pet.

Benson Family said...

As my daddy always said, "A life is a life." ;)

the wrath of khandrea said...

something must be wrong with me, because i got teary reading this post.

A-Kap said...

Awwww...I'm so sorry. Hannah mentioned it quite a bit today in class, so I know it was a sad weekend for all of you. I hope you go git yerself another gecko! Not that it could replace Spike...but...getting another hamster always helped me when I lost one. Losing a pet is so very sad.

CREATE