Monday, January 5, 2009

What's your DNA story?

I thoroughly enjoy watching the Biography channel. Today I watched a program on the Barrymore's. It is fascinating to me to learn about what "makes people tick". It was so interesting to learn about this very famous family of actors from Maurice all the way to Drew. Believe it or not, some of them didn't even want to be actors but pursued it out of necessity-however, they were all very artistic in different mediums but playing the piano couldn't always pay the bills. Members of this family were drawn to the arts and acting so passionately...it made me think of my own heritage. What were my ancestors good at? What did they love to do? What have they passed on to me?
This year one of my goals is to pursue my passions. I have and am and always will put my family first but I am now in a position were I can pursue some of my own dreams. As you can tell from the previous post , I was a very young bride-19 to be exact (two weeks shy of 20) and my life suddenly took a very different turn. I became a wife and three years later became a mother- a choice I would not change. That time in ones life however is when most are pursuing their education, and finding out what they are good at. I took a different path and I am now ready to figure out what I am good at. In pursuing my passions, I want to dig a little deeper into my family history and really find out what my ancestors loved to do. I am convinced that DNA is the keeper of passionate pursuits and I am on a journey. I am curious...what is your DNA story?

9 comments:

♥Shally said...

I would love to know more about my ancestors! My dad's side has some things, but my mom's really doesn't.

Good luck!

Christie said...

My DNA is actually full of crazy people. My hope is to turn out in spite of that.

the wrath of khandrea said...

on all the packages and letters i mail to my stepkids, i put "DnA" on the return address for "Dad and Andrea".

so that's my DNA story.

can i get a woop woop? nah? fair enough.

jessica said...

Okay first of all....LOVE Ben Folds!

Second...LOVE the bio channel. Aric and I couldn't stop watching the survivor stories the other night.

Why can't we live by each other! We would have the most fun!

About the DNA...I pursued Early Childhood Education as my major with a minor in Special Ed. I spent six years teaching and I loved those years but now I so want to pursue interior decorating. I have a brother who is an artist, and a musician. My other two brothers have degrees but have chosen other occupations, constrution and roofing. They like to create, solve problems and work with their hands. This has to be genetic...

mahina said...

that is an awesome goal! someday i will pursue mine again!

i was older when i got married and was able to finish my degree in health promotion. i actually went on my first date with my husband the week i graduated. we then married 3 months before he graduated with his masters. i was a personal trainer up until our 1st daughter was born. i would love to be a swim coach someday and i would love to pursue photography and interior decorating. my dad is an architect, my mom is extremely talented in her artistic abilities and my sister is getting more and more into photography. sounds genetic to me! what do you think!?

Lauren in GA said...

My DNA sounds acutally frightening on paper...my mother committed suicide...I am not saying this to be dramatic...I feel so badly for her because she lived in a day and age where there was no medicine to help her.
My DNA is a sum of gratitude to live in this day and age.

katie g. said...

Hmm...from what I know of your DNA, I would say you have inherited from your father's side a love for literature, manners and an unholy responsible streak. From your mother's side - tenacity, humility, and an ability to make things - carpentry to cooking. Also, two characteristics from both that cancel each other out. Paternal - ability to speak in public. Maternal - so emotional, you can't get the damn words out ;}

Bridget said...

Great post. I have so enjoyed getting back into nursing lately. I just feel more like me having that part of my life back. Although my mom didn't work in the medical field she always wished she had. Any medical drama or book, she read it.

Jenibelle said...

Hmmmm....mine is a little whacked. I am getting ready to spill a few of the family beans soon!!

CREATE