Friday, October 3, 2008

What God must feel...

I had one of those moments on Sunday that I can't stop thinking about. My six year old son was really struggling to hold it together during church. He was getting very restless, then he was getting mad, then he was just down right mean. I finally had to escort him out of the chapel when he swiped me with his pencil. Hubby was dealing with this too but I finally hit my limit so out we went into a lone dreary classroom. It was like a showdown. He sat in one chair and I sat in another. I didn't look at him, I just sat there and I was quiet. He refused to speak but he started to get restless. He began swinging his legs-higher and higher until his feet could reach the table. He was trying so hard to get me to break-he started kicking the table. I calmly moved the table then continued to sit quietly. When I thought he had had enough of my silent treatment, I did something I don't normally do. Normally, I would have been very annoyed and upset with him. I would have lectured him and told him his behavior was unacceptable. This time I felt like I needed to do something different. I turned towards him and pulled our chairs together. We sat face to face and I looked right into his eyes. I told him that no matter what he said to me or what he did to me, I would always love him. I then told him he could choose to be happy or choose to be mad-it was his choice and he had to decide. He then did the unexpected. He sprang from his seat, wrapped his little arms around my neck, started to cry and told me he loved me. It was at that very moment, that I knew exactly how God felt about me. He is always giving me a choice and then waiting for me to spring out of my seat and hug him. I started to cry too and felt so much love for this little boy for teaching me a lesson I so needed to learn. I asked this little man why he was acting up and why he was so mad. He said it was because he was bored and had nothing to do. We sat there and made a plan together. He was so happy and I had realized what God must feel...

15 comments:

Annie said...

<<<<>>>> (or however you type applause) You rocked that teaching moment in the lone dreary classroom. Thanks for sharing it.

Anonymous said...

Way to go!! I fear I would have had not such a good reaction :( Thanks for sharing

Bridget said...

What a great moment with your son. Good for you for pulling yourself together for that. It is so hard to do.

Christie said...

Don't you just think parenting moments like that are inspiration? I haven't had many myself (too busy getting mad to hear them) but when they happen, it's as big of a lesson to me as it is to my kids. Well done, you.

mahina said...

i need lessons from you! i need to keep my cool and not lecture. i get so caught up and do the lecture thing, which i know just goes in and out. i will remember your control and words the next time i find myself struggling with one of mine! thanks for that!

Lauren in GA said...

I learned more that I can express from your teaching moment. Thank you, very, very much.

jessica said...

I bow down to your greatness....

I'm so glad you shared this. Way to embrace that moment and let the spirit teach both of you.

You are awesome!

Oh and please, oh please come to the Women's Broadcast next year so that I have a chance of actually hanging out with you...in real life.

Jake said...

Parenting is so humbling. Thank you for sharing this!

Emy5 said...

That is a touching experience. It reminds me of the saying, "Love conquers all."

Elizabeth Dimit said...

I got to your blog from Mahina's blog. I'm good friends with her and Bridget. I loved this post! It was beautiful. Thanks for sharing such a valuable lesson in such a sweet way.

Becca said...

Oh, wasn't that a goosebump moment for me!

Thank you for sharing this story. I have stored it in the back of my Mummy-brain and will be using it in years to come...I am sure!

Amber said...

It is during moments like this--when we least expect it--that the more powerful moments can really resonate. How blessed he is to have you as a mom and for you to have as your son!

katie g. said...

Is it too late to take your 16 YEAR OLD to a lone and dreary classroom???
Why the he-- don't you have 10 more children? You seriously rock at this. Call me

Chelle said...

I saw your comment on Elizabeth's blog asking about Rob and Linda. I actually worked with Rob for years in his law firm. My dad is Rich Vial. I love the Fotheringham's, I used to babysit their kids. I don't live in Oregon anymore but I usually see them when we go back.

I love your blog and I love this last post, I'm glad I came over here to comment because I needed to hear this last post. So beautiful!

Jenibelle said...

Wonderful. Humbling.

CREATE