
So, I'm on the fence about flu shots. We don't normally get them and we do fine. We go through our regular sickness-no major problems. The one time we did get flu shots, it seemed like we got more sick. When I mentioned that to my doctor he totally scoffed at me (what a goober). I read this article from Time and I tend to agree with it. Also, this year I am feeling extra pressure to put my kids through "shotorture" and get the silly thing. I don't know. Some people are really for them and I'm just one of those people that doesn't care. We just don't get that sick...just you watch, this year we'll all get it bad! What are your thoughts? To shot or not to shot?

10 comments:
No shot. We've never done it and we have been just fine. We take a more proactive approach. Take vitamins, get enough sleep and wash our hands constantly. We've trained out kids to be OCD hand washers.
From what I understand, the shot only contains the most common strain and there are so many out there...I say if you have a baby or your an old lady be extra safe and do it, otherwise...let your body do its job and fight it.
I have gotten my kids the flu shot since Dan Staves was hospitalized with I believe a strain of influenza. I guess I am a "better safe, than sorry" kinda person -- but mine are still little and I can't garentee that they stay vigilent with hand washing and stuff at school.... just my 2 cents!
(Dan had meningitis)
I say no shot. Being healthy and keeping clean has kept me flu free since I was very young. Most people I meet also have the same complaint that they got more sick the years they had the shot.
I got my shot yesterday. My son has bad asthma so we started getting the shots to protect him. He's gone but we still get the shot.
i've been debating the same thing. i say just don't get it and let your body work through it. but then there's the deadly strains.
walk around with a mask on. i dunno.
We have never done the shot thing and we have never gotten the flu. I say babies and older folks yes. We are big hand washers and I think that makes the biggest difference. Good luck with your decision.
I wish I knew...I don't know what to even say...we get them and we still end up sick every winter.
We don't get them. But I don't see harm in it. I just don't consider us particulary high risk. OF course everyone is at some risk but we aren't high risk so I"m not worried.
I'm with Tracy on this one. I've never had the flu shot and I'm just fine. From the articles I've read and the discussions I've had in some on my classes, it seems to be that only the really young, really old, or immunosuppressed really should get the flu shots. Plus, they only target the most common viruses of the year. Don't get 'em. Just wash your hands. That's the BIGGEST way to prevent it!
UP to you...but I must say that our doctor gave a flu MIST rather than a shot this year. (a mist that the children inhale through the nose). I did it cause Alison is still young and in case I get preggo again.
Post a Comment