Saturday, June 21, 2008

Something I read today...

Freedom
Oh, what a treasure we have been given to be alive in this beautiful world!

By Ardath Rodale , Ardath Rodale is Chairman of the Board of Rodale inc and the author of several books including Reflections.


As I sit here in late afternoon, I look up at the magnificent sky to see wafts of clouds touched with rainbow colors and fleeting birds pass by the vast open space, and I'm surrounded by majestic trees that help the environment heal our world. We have healthy fresh produce that nourishes our bodies, and I'm thankful for the peace I feel each day. With urgency, I want to spread this feeling of peace and freedom to people around the world.

Too often we believe our freedom rests on outward conditions or upon other resources, and, before you know it, we become slaves to circumstance. We forget that everything begins within us. Instead of looking outward to others for our happiness, we need to find peace, prosperity, joy, and freedom of spirit within ourselves. True freedom is an inner state of awareness--an inside job--and it is available to everyone. It begins when we take up the reins of responsibility for our own lives.

There is an inspirational Girl Scout campfire song that I sang growing up: "The Lonesome Train" by Millard Lampell and Earl Robinson.

"Freedom's a thing that has no ending, it needs to be cared for, it needs defending.

"A great long job for many hands, carrying freedom 'cross the lands."

To be renewed in mind and in body we must free ourselves from obsolete ideas. Old, hardened thoughts and habits can cause mental and physical stagnation. New, fresh ideas and routines can save us from idleness and decline. Remember that freedom is like choosing the clothing that fits our personalities. Gaining personal independence from all kinds of inner bondage will free the spirit.

I celebrate the free spirit that dwells within each and every one of you!

Ardath Rodale is chief inspiration officer of Rodale Inc. and author of Everyday Miracles; Reflections; Gifts of the Spirit: True Stories to Renew Your Soul; and Climbing Toward the Light.

7 comments:

♥Shally said...

Amen Sista!

the wrath of khandrea said...

i am going to all but bear my testimony of this one! it's a work in progress for me, but i believe it to be true 100%
thanks for posting it.
love your new header picture. very very nice.
IT'S ON, GIRL!! TUESDAY NIGHT!! I CAN'T WAIT!!!

jessica said...

I LOVE THIS!!!! I am printing it off and keeping close for reminding. I love the new look! This song, and the picture of you reflects the feeling of your post perfectly!

Tracy said...

I'm just commenting to say I love your new layout and banner :) very nice.

Lindsey said...

Thoughtful lovely post... :)

the wrath of khandrea said...

hey
i can't find your email address. email me so i can figure out where to drive this week. and when.

Amber said...

Beautifully written and you nailed the sentiments perfectly. And the picture? Love it!

CREATE