Friday, May 16, 2008
Go ahead, ask me!
Ask me what I do. Go ahead and do you know what I'll tell you? I am a mother! Last night I went to a fabulous book club at my church. I didn't read the book but I definitely wanted to be in on the discussion. The book was I Am A Mother by Jane Clayson Johnson. It was so great to discuss motherhood and how extremely important it is. I went away feeling uplifted and renewed-that my calling as a mom is inspired. I don't know if any of you remember this post from not too long ago but I have since changed my attitude and now am ready to answer that wonderful question...so, what do you do? My response now will be, "What do I do? Well, let me tell you. I am a mom and I love it!"
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

15 comments:
That is a really great attitude, Liz. You have inspired me to do the same, when anyone asks me that question. I loved your pictures, my personal favouriye being a sunlit view from the side of you and your kids with some changing Fall leaves.
Ok, that's a freaky spelling of the word favourite. Silly typo. But I do mean to spell it the English way with a 'U'.
I am so sad I missed the book club last night! Guess where I was? Painting! I read the book and loved it. It too made me feel lucky to be a mom. I bet the discussion was great. You are a great mom, Liz, someone us newbies (like me) look up too!
Great attitude. Being a mom rocks.
i wouldn't want to be anything other than a mother! i always knew that was what i wanted to do and i couldn't be happier! sounds like a great book!
excellent. isn't it great when you get to that point? it takes some of us a little longer... but i love that i feel that way now. i think it's easier to feel that way when poopy diapers are a thing of the past. and sleepless nights. because if you're tired and everything smells like poop, it's hard to capture that feeling.
at least, i think it is.
I loved this! It really is great to be a mom. I get so frustrated some days...infact, I was crying before church because not one of my kids would listen to me but, I wouldn't trade it, I truly wouldn't.
It is the best and toughest job ever! I hate when people humor me and feel sorry for me that I'm unfulfilled as a SAHM! I chose this and I feel blessed that I get to do it.
I wish someone would ask me what I do. Unfortunately I always have all my kids around so the mystery is gone. Perhaps I'll make up something really cool if someone ever asks me. I'm thinking roller derby star!
Also, thanks for your comment re:dancing on my blog. we're definitely sticking with it- but no skanks allowed.
Yes! We read this in my bookclub too. Very empowering attitude!
Love the photos, and definitely agree with your attitude.
Remember, I said that you are who I want to be when I grow up! I see you with your children and YOU are a wonderful person and mother. You put family first but you know to take care of yourself, too. You've got it figured out.
I bought myself that book for Christmas and loved it. I have since sent it to a couple of friends who were struggling and they were so uplifted by it, too!
Awesome photos!!!! You have insprired me too. I need to read that book -- I have heard GREAT things about it!!!! Way to go MOM!!
For years, Before I became a parent, when people asked me "what do you do"? I would always respond with something like, same as everyone else, alot of nothing. This would most certainly provoke strange looks and responses. The fact that most people find their personas, identity or meaning in their jobs is a sad testament considering how short life is and how vast our lives are. There are many ways in which we can define ourselves. It just happens that doing it through work and money happens to be the easiest and most available way to define a life. My uncle once said, "We work to make money to pay for the things we need to live, that's all work is". He wasn't trying to say that a person's work couldn't change the world or the lives of people, but what he was saying is that work doesn't have to be who you are. He was a vice president at New York telephone before New York telephone was deregulated in the eighties. Sadly he later died of a heart attack coming out of a meeting on the Job. The same job that kept him from putting his kids to sleep at night. True story.
Post a Comment