Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Not the way to remember...

This week, schools across the country should be remembering Virginia Tech and Columbine. They should be discussing ways to prevent these awful tragedies from ever happening again. Towns, communities, and families should be talking about how to solve problems using your voice-not your fists, guns, or bombs.
What did our Junior /Senior high school do today to remember? They had a bomb scare that lasted for 4 hours. What is this world coming to? What kind of kid writes on the bathroom wall that he is going to bomb the school? Is it a joke? It's not funny! Is it serious? He needs help! What does this teach our kids about VT & Columbine? That you get out of class for 4 hours-hey, this is fun!?! I really hope they catch this bone head and make him/her read all the biographies of the kids & adults who's lives were taken so needlessly. Maybe some people remember the wrong way but let's just make sure the rest of us remember the right way.

12 comments:

♥Shally said...

That is terrible... and sad.

the wrath of khandrea said...

was it meant to be a joke, or a cry for attention? it will be interesting to see what happens when they figure out who did it, and what their motives were.

sorry you had to deal with that.

Tracy said...

That is so sad. :( It's been a sea of orange and maroon down here.

Ballard Greener said...

When I was a kid in New York Graffiti was everywhere and no single item stood out above the rest and so therefore even the most disgusting items were ignored. The angery person behind this message is wanting the very commentary we provide. Maybe it's different today in light of the events you have referenced and maybe it can't be ignored, however, There must be some method of distinguishing between real threat and simple teenage angst because my guess is teenage angst is here to stay. Is this a Cry for help? Probably not conciously. Is this a flip off at the system they feel is unfair and unfavorable? Most definitely. Let's hope he/she/those responsible grow out of their shell.

Bridget said...

It is awful. It really makes you wonder what the schools will be like when our kids' generation grows up.

jessica said...

That is so sick! It is so scary to think about what is going on in that kids head. Another reminder of how grateful I am for the gospel and how responsible I am for raising contributing members of society instead of knuckleheads.

Lauren in GA said...

Oh, for pity sake. I am so sorry about the bomb threat...that is just ridiculous. The sad thing is...I just can't help but wonder, when something horrible will happen again.

diane said...

This happened at my son's school last year. They caught the kid who wrote on the bathroom wall and their have been copy cats at other schools in the area. I think they want attention! I'll give them some attention in juvenile hall!

Annemarie said...

That really is sick. It is so sad to be scared to send your kids to school. Sorry you had to deal with that, it really is disturbing.

Jenibelle said...

I work at a high school, a job I just love. Today we had a group of kids come to school with their faces painted white and black with long black coats, they were scary looking. Interesting thing is that the other students kind of formed a wall and didn't let them in the Quad. Our administrators rounded them up and called parents who came and picked them up. Then we had an announcement and some quiet time in the classrooms. The world is a really scary place these days to raise kids. I was proud of my Liberty Lions today, they took a stand for something right!

Heather said...

My cousin was a sophomore at Columbine when the shooting happened. We never forget.

Anonymous said...

That is not even close to being a funny joke, prank or whatever. I wish the world was a little differrent sometimes!

CREATE