Friday, April 11, 2008

My contribution...

I am the youngest of seven siblings. My brother Mike assigned all of us a topic to write about that he thought we had some knowledge about. He wanted to give his graduating son some advice as he was about to "go out into the world". What a great gift for a father to give to a son especially when as parents we clearly "don't know everything". Here was my assigned topic-thank goodness it wasn't filing your taxes or defrosting your freezer (I'll post about that disaster later...)

Keeping Fit
By: Elizabeth Fotheringham Deane

Unless you are the lucky 2% of the population that is either “naturally fit” or loves working out everyday for 3 hours then you probably need advice on keeping fit or better yet, getting fit. Here are my tried and true methods and suggestions.

1. Set realistic goals-While setting your sites on losing 50lbs in 30 days is admirable, it is not very realistic. Try starting with something like only ordering the small value meal instead of the Biggie size, walking for 15 minutes during your lunch break, or maybe waking up before noon. The key to keeping/getting fit is starting small and once you’ve mastered your small but significant goal you can move on to your next goal. Like only fast food once a week and only after you have walked 3 times that week and woken up before noon…

2. Make small changes- Try making a few small changes in your routine. They may not seem worthwhile at first but a few small changes add up to a big difference. Remember to keep #1 in mind. Here are some examples:

· Drink water whenever possible and stop drinking soda. This is the first example because I
think it is the most important change you can make. Water is essential!!!
· Don’t eat after 8pm, Food=fuel and after 8 pm you’re usually just sitting around so you
don’t need anymore ”fuel”.
· Eat four smaller meals and 1-2 snacks a day instead of 3 square meals and several snacks.
· Start moving! Take the stairs, park in the furthest slot, go for a walk! Moving=energy.
· Eat breakfast. If you eat a good healthy breakfast in the morning you’ll be less likely to
gorge yourself at 8pm and I don’t mean an extra bowl of Captain Crunch.
· Smaller proportions!!! Americans eat waaay too much and waaay too fast. Slow down,
enjoy your food and try using a salad plate instead of a dinner plate.
· Don’t eliminate treats. You don’t have to completely stop eating your favorite ice cream but
instead of eating it every night (at 8pm), try eating it on Friday night after a successful
week of not eating it every day. Use your favorite treats as rewards for your successes!
· Keep healthy snacks in your car, backpack, or purse. We make most of our unhealthy
eating choices when we are in a rush, and on the go. Fast food is really convenient but soooo
bad for you. Eat a healthy snack until you can eat a proper meal at home-plus you’ll save
$$$.

3. Change things up- Even the best baseball teams (GO SOX!) need to change it up and so does your body. If you’ve been doing the same thing for more than 3 months your body gets used to it and you’ll stop seeing results. Try making some changes to your routine. Add wrist weights to your walk, try Yoga instead of the treadmill, or check out a new work out video from the library. Remember, your body needs a change up or it will get bored and then you’ll start dropping the ball.

4. Body, mind, & spirit- Take time to nourish yourself. Nourish your body with healthy food and exercise. Nourish your mind with uplifting books, music and new skills. Nourish your spirit with prayer, meditation, and nature. If we fill our body, mind, and spirit with unhealthy things like alcohol, junk food, mindless television, pornography etc., then our lives become unbalanced. It can take a lot of work to get these three things in working order but through self mastery our lives can be balanced, centered, and fulfilling.

12 comments:

Lindsey said...

Wow, tried and true advice. Very well thought out and true. It is too bad sometimes I am even unmotivated to do that!

Chris said...

Liz,
What an awsome idea!! I'm sure your nephew will cherish this forever -- and I can't think of anyone better suited to address your topic!

♥Shally said...

You hit all the important points!! Staying fit is so important--and I am so glad you pointed out you don't have to give up everything you love..

Emy5 said...

Great advice Liz.

It's awesome to see your family pulling together for your nephew.

the wrath of khandrea said...

yeah, but never EVER get rid of big papi.

this is a really cool idea your brother had.

i once knew an awesome missionary named tiffany fotheringham. she served in boston in like 94-ish. any relation?

you have some great points. this was well written. i enjoyed it.

now i'm just hogging comment space.
sorry.

diane said...

This is brilliant, now I want a copy of all the advice. Two kids are out but I still have one to go.

jessica said...

Well written...I wrote a little book for my cousin who headed off to college last fall. I included a chapter on health/fitness, you hit everything that I thought was important. Great minds clearly think alike...

Good luck on your talk. My husband and I were just asked to speak next Sunday on the restoration of the Priesthood. I haven't been asked to speak in at least five years! Your life seems to be rubbing off on me...kinda weird.

Anonymous said...

Very good advice!! I like that idea of your brothers. When my kid sget better I think I would love to do something like that. :)

Bridget said...

OK. So you are a Fotheringham? I have been commenting back and forth with Lindsey because I saw her comment somewhere (maybe here?) about some Fotheringhams and it just had reminded me that I knew Leah Fotheringham from BYU. It was her married name so maybe this is a sister-in-law or cousin-in-law? Jess told me that they are in the same ward or stake. Such a small world. If she has a blog (or at least email) could you send it to me?

Jenibelle said...

Can you come and live at my house and be my personal conscience? Time and gravity and a sweet tooth have not been kind to me.

Lauren in GA said...

I like your new profile picture and sidebar pictures :)


I also enjoyed this post. I really need to follow this sage advice...as I really need to loose weight. I know I will feel better if I do.


You are a great example!

What a neat idea to have everyone contribute advice...and the fact that they are from family members.

kelli said...

Well thought out. Nice Job, Liz.

CREATE