I've been asked to speak in church this Sunday on being a good example. We always wonder if the Bishop assigns these talks because he thinks this is something we need to improve upon or we are really knowledgeable on the subject. Hmm...I wonder. So, what makes a good example? What are your thoughts on the subject? Is being a good example just a blanket statement? Can we be a good example in one way and not another? Is being an example like having a talent? Share...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


20 comments:
When I think of being an example, I think more about myself and that I need to make sure that I am following my beliefs and living the way that I would want my children to live....if I do this than when somebody tells me that I am a good example, I can feel good knowing that I am living to the best of my ability. Now having said that, it doesn't always work out that way! We are only human after all and we cannot be perfect in all that we do, but Heaven;y Father has asked us to live righteously and follow his commandments on our persuit to perfection. Does that make any sense? I don't know, hope it helps even a little bit....
Oh Golly. . . I can't believe you know Natalie. What are the chances! I mean, you live on the east coast RIGHT??? Yes, I know the Fotheringhams. They lived just down the street from me. We lived on Cottonwood Lane, and I graduation Oly. It's a small world after all.
That quote is an excellent opening.
Anything by Mark Twain is good-
"The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in SF." Anything else. He has a lot of anti-mormon quotes. Use those two.
I think the thing about being an example is once you decide you're doing something "to be a good example" it loses some of its value. All of the sudden there's this kind of self righteous pride involved, you know? Maybe that's what Twain was talking about. It's like humility, once you are aware of how good you are at it, you lose it ;)
Don't know if this makes sense but I like people (and use them as my example) who aren't quite so self conscious about "being an example" but who are living the best they can, living up to their beliefs and being authentic.
I don't know how helpful that is to your talk, though! I can't think of any scriptures to back me up here.
p.s. happy red sox opening day!
I'm a good example of what not to do! I've got nothing. My kids are great, they are an example to me. It's a rough world and they remain valiant even when their friends are making bad choices. Good luck.
Staying true to yourself - isn't that what it's really all about?
None of us are perfect but there are a few things we can be perfect examples of - like love.
Good luck on that one - glad it's not me!
LC
Hey! Bloggerpalooza is in Utah during women's week. (Or whatever that is called) in the first week of May? You can contact Celia Fae for more info! (Just in case you still haven't figured it out!:)
I always make sure the "teachers" are qualified before I ask them to "teach". It's no fun listening to someone teach themselves on Sunday morning. As a listener, I think its better to sit and be inspired and a learner than a spectator. I chose BOTH of you because you're qualified to teach. And mostly because I like you two too! Looking forward to Sunday!
-"The Bishop"
I can't think of anything more important for members of the church to be than a good example. Because heaven forbid that we should claim to believe something and live another way.
I have found an important way for me to do missionary work is to establish early on that I am LDS and then to spend the rest of the time trying to live up to that standard.
I always think that people that are the best example are those that do what they say they are going to do...I really admire people that keep their word.
I also think that people that live the gospel, without being overly preachy, but with conviction are a good example.
I got nothing for you -- Tell us how it goes, I could use some help on that matter. :)
It's hard to be a good example and not be a little hypocritical because we are not perfect examples. Only our Savior is. Also there are so many men and women in the scriptures who were inspiring examples to us. I think that if you are truly converted to the gospel you will be a good example in some way without being overly conscious about it. And I agree with you that you may be more of a good example in one area than another depending on your unique personality ans spiritual gifts.
I totally agree with emy5. She said it very well. And because of our different life experiences we will have some areas that we are naturally better examples than in others. Does that make sense?
But the bottom line for me is, that if we are truly converted and committed to the gospel of Jesus Christ we will be good examples not because we are trying to be good examples but because we love God and are trying our best to be Christlike for Him. Our best will vary from time to time but as long as we live our testimonies, we will be examples. And because we have covenanted to take upon the name of Christ, we have the responsibility to remember who we represent and act accordingly.
Wow! Your bishop comments on your blog...
Hate it when your Bishop reads your blog. Like mine does! Hi Tom!!
There's a really fine line here, some people really pride themselves on their humility. I think 'setting' out to be a good example is good but you don't want to be phony about it? Are you calm and gentle in public where all can see and comment on your demeanor and then a total screaming wench at home? (I don't mean YOU, just people in general). The most important example is in our homes, what kind of example are we setting for our children? What kind of 'parent tapes' will they play back?
Setting a good example is like having integrity, doing the right thing all the time, not just when it is convenient. Just some random thoughts.
I ditto Annie's thoughts. Perfect. Love what Paige said too. yeah Mark Twain was not too kind to Mormons.
The last time I gave a talk the counselor in the bishopric said "it's been a while since we've heard from you so we're wondering if you can talk this Sunday...." Now my husband is in a bishopric and he said they actually pray for inspiration on who should talk on what subject on which Sunday. I thought, well, if he had put it THAT way...Makes it sound more personal like your name wasn't just drawn out of a hat.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.
I'll second Jenibelle...Being a good example is not about being a good example at all, it is about living true to your beliefs, even when no one is looking, even when no one cares, even when the world is against you, and always doing it with humility, recognizing that it is about honoring the Savior, and his sacrifice and example. I rarely meet someone who is a good example who thinks he/she is a good example -- because the second you set yourself up as an example, your pride becomes your stumbling block.
i've been waiting to comment all week until i had something profound to offer.
i have nothing.
but i dont' feel bad since you have 18 comments to draw from.
you'll have to let us know how the talks go... my husband is speaking this sunday. i'm going to sit in the front pew and flash him.
is that a good example?
Let's not be too hard on Mark Twain. I have read much of what he said, and while it is clear that he felt less than convinced about Mormonism, he was also skeptical of religion in general. That sentiment is common enough, and what I find to be the most troubling about his comments, as well as most of the comments made by people regarding Mormons, is that they are simply calling into question the examples of Mormons that he/they may have met or known. When someone has something negative to say about Mormons, could it not be because they have been left with a bad taste in their mouth due to the bad example of a member of our faith? Why do we have to wear our religion on our sleeve, can't we just be good people that happen to be Mormon?
Post a Comment