Wednesday, August 25, 2010

My Summer Reading List

It seems like summer is the only time I get to read books. I like having a lot of time to read and during the school year there is just too much to do. I know, that sounds backwards but for me its true. During all my carefree summer days, I read some amazing books that I just have to pass on to my blogger friends.

This first book pretty much jumped off the library shelf and into my hands. I think a higher power wanted me to read this and it came at just the right time. I don't often recommend books to Matthew but I told him he had to read it and he actually bought it-he liked it that much. The subject matter (death) was a tough one to swallow at times but it was worth it.

Expecting Adam was a beautiful story about a mothers love for her child, mothers intuition and spirituality. This book also jumped off the shelf and I loved it.

Now, if you haven't read The Help, then I don't know what you have been doing all summer. This is a wonderful book about social classes in the South during the civil rights movement. So well written, unbelievable and inspiring. Read it!

Oh, Devotion. Possibly my favorite book this summer. If you weren't a fan of Eat, Pray, Love (like me), you'll like Devotion. Dani Shapiro is an amazing down to earth writer. I have been thinking about my own spiritual devotion as of late and this fit right into my train of thought. Excellent!

I couldn't let summer come to a close without reading something light-hearted and fun. This last read came highly recommended by Gabi-a voracious year round reader. A Girl Named Zippy was the perfect end of summer book. It was funny, funny, funny. I'll be picking up her other titles next!

Here's to great summer reads! Let me know what your favorites were and I'll put them on my night stand where they will sit until next June.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are so great to make this list for me! I have been looking for something to read, and now I know!!! Thanks much

Lauren in GA said...

Thank you for the list!! I am going to have to read, A Girl Named Zippy. I love to laugh.

Is, Expecting Adam sad?

calibosmom said...

Expecting Adam has moments of sadness but its actually very inspiring and its all good.

Lauren in GA said...

thanks for the answer!

Shannon Gish said...

I loved The Help and will definitely check out the others on your list - esp A Girl Named Zippy. The title alone intrigues me.

jessica said...

L.O.V.E.D. The Help! I will check out your other recommendations for sure!

Tralar said...

Thanks for the recommendations. I love books and have read expecting Adam...and loved it. Will be picking up some of the others soon.

tiburon said...

I needed some good recommendations - I am adding these to my list!

Thanks :)

CREATE