
This is a bit of a rant but it also poses a question so stay with me. So, I'm waiting for my daughter after school yesterday and a fellow mother is discussing (bitching about) her daughters and my sons classroom. She said she followed the class from classroom to recess to lunch and she was appalled at how long they had to wait in line to get from one place to the next. Now, I appreciate efficiency when it comes to time but aren't there also lessons to be learned while waiting in a line too? I know that sounds odd and believe me, I despise waiting in line but is waiting a few extra minutes in line to get your lunch milk going to prevent you from getting into Harvard? Waiting in line can teach patience, compassion, tolerance, responsibility etc. This mother was upset because the whole class had to wait for two slows kids to get their snow stuff on. Then they had to wait in the lunch line just to get their milk. I understand and this woman would really make a wonderful Elementary school principal but does it really matter in the BIG picture?
Yes, when people are slow or late, it irritates me because it can make me late for my thing but maybe we should be teaching our kids (& ourselves) to help the slow kids find their mittens instead of being annoyed that they are slow. Being affected by anothers chronic lateness can teach you that you don't want to be late and so learn to manage your time better. Waiting in line, one can meet a new friend or catch up with an old one that you don't get to see much anymore because your desks got moved. Whatever the reason for having to wait, why not look at the positives. Does it really matter in the long run?
*The odds of me having to wait in a big old line this week are huge. Let's see if I can put my money where my mouth is...

11 comments:
Well said, Patience is a VIRTUE. Apparently this lady didn't have any.
Apparently she was the slow kid in line and was never the one waiting because she never learned any patience!!!!
Sometimes I really wish people would take a step back and look at the big picture (Not that I am always perfect at this but...) I am dealing with people seeing the short end results as opposed to the eternal perspective. It is teaching me patience right now!!!
AMEN! I totally agree.
I am slow at everything I do. I don't mean to be but I have felt inferior all of my life when people get impatient with me. I wouldn't want her for my teacher.
Wait until these little (gratify me now) tots become teenage drivers and waiting, slowing, and long lines are matters of life and limb.
why was she stalking her child at school? OH, I KNOW... she's a HELICOPTER parent. perhaps if she gets a life of her own, the struggles of elementary school lines will become less burdensom to her.
i'm just sayn.
If you're late and you have to wait, that is just desserts. If you have to wait because it isn't yet your turn, that is life. Some people always need something to complain about.
I hate waiting! Hate it. This is exactly why the Lord keeps giving me opportunities to practice.
Awwww...those poor little darlings had to wait. Ohhh...sooo sad. *blacch!!* I don't even want to think about how long they will have to wait to get a car, the latest electronic gadget, etc.... Mothers like that just make me sick -- and unfortunately I know I will have to grin and bear it quite a bit in the coming years!! It's always great to know moms like you...it gives me hope!
I'm with you! I definitely have some patience issues and I think there is a time and a place when one needs to hurry...like when they have been told a million times to get their shoes on and they don't and then they make everyone else almost late for school...but I firmly believe that life is moving way too fast for my little ones and learning to slow it down...especially for someone else who needs it, is just fine.
Thanks for sharing your soap box.
Post a Comment